Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is caused when a woman’s hormones are all out of balance. It causes problems with a woman’s periods making pregnancy very hard is not impossible. Along with the hormone changes, it can cause you to stop ovulating, extra body and/or facial hair, along with acne and weight gain due to the body being unable to use insulin.
- Weight gain and trouble losing weigh
- Extra body hair that can be darker and thicker, excessive body hair can be found on the stomach, back and chest area.
- Cysts on ovaries
- Fertility issues
- Irregular periods
Sadly there is no cure for PCOS, but losing weight, and taking medications that work for some of the symptoms associated with PCOS can make it more tolerable. Medicine has come a far way since I have had to deal with PCOS being I am 37 now, there is a lot more hope for people with PCOS. Birth control pills are used to regulate periods, sprinolactone is used to help with excessive hair growth and metformin is used to regulate periods and assist in fertility. There are also various acne medications and fertility drugs used to help aid in other factors.
Latest posts by Melissa Cwynar (see all)
- Infertility at 37 Hard Choices - June 16, 2013
- The Struggle of 12 Miscarriages and 2 Ectopic Pregnancies - June 14, 2013
- Seriously… Secondary Infertility Endometriosis What? - June 11, 2013